December 4, 2009

The New Retro Soul


A Strange Arrangement is the debut album by Stones Throw recording artist, Mayer Hawthorne. The Ann Arbor, Michigan native sets a new standard with his "retro" sound of soul reminiscent of the days when Smokey Robinson, Curtis Mayfield and Barry White held down the scene. Mayer immediately caught my attention with this video, which I spotted on Soundnexx a month back. That led me to buy his CD, which I purchased for the low price of $7.99 when I ordered it at Amazon. Upon receipt of the disc, I was very much pleased by the talents of this 29 year-old. He wrote, produced, and played every instrument on the album. That's a great feat for such a young man to take on, and definitely says a lot about his love for the music. If you're a fan of the early Motown sound, Mayer Hawthorne will fill the void and provide you with a groove you can play without having to pull out the vinyl or cassettes. Continue to support good music.

www.stonesthrow.com/mayerhawthorne
www.myspace.com/mayerhawthorne

Mayer Hawthorne - Make Her Mine      
blog comments powered by Disqus